Valentine’s Day is coming! And even though you don’t have a boyfriend, girlfriend, special mate or whatever you want to call it, it’s an excuse to do something nice for someone you love; whether it’s a friend, family member or someone else. I bring you for this day a recipe which is DRIVING ME CRAZY. They are savoury french toasts with smashed avocado and poached egg… YUMMY!!!!!!! In the YouTube video and here I give a detailed description of the step by step process with all the tips so that you get a perfect result, specially with the poached egg that I know some people are terrified of.
For the french toasts:
– 2 slices of bread
– 250ml milk
– 1 egg
– 1/4 tsp paprika
– salt and pepper to taste
– A bit of butter to cook them
For the avocado:
– 1 avocado
– Juice from 1/2 a lemon
– 20ml olive oil
– salt and pepper to taste
For the poached egg:
– 2 eggs
– 1 litre of water
– 120ml apple / cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
– powdered chili or chili flakes (optional) and salt
1. Start by doing the avocado since it’s the only thing being served at room temperature. Peel it and smash it, and then mix the other ingredients in. The lemon gives an amazing taste but also prevents the avocado from turning brown.
2. Now the toasts. Mix the milk, egg, paprika, salt and pepper and soak the bread inside on both sides. It’s cooked in medium heat with a bit of butter until it’s golden. Use medium heat because higher heat will not allow the egg that has been soaked into the slice to cook properly before it’s golden. Once they’re done, leave them on the pan with the heat off just to keep them warm.
3. Bring the water and vinegar to a boil and then reduce the heat to a light simmer. If it’s boiling vigorously, the egg with will disintegrate al over the water. The vinegar helps in accelerating the cooking of the outside of the egg, keeping its shape.
4. Break the egg into a small container or ramekin. This way, you’ll be able to put the egg in in one go instead of in a long shape like it does when you crack the egg open into the water.
5. Make a swirl in the water with a spoon and then, by getting the container really close to the water, dunk the egg in the center of it. This swirl also helps in maintaining the shape. Let it spin for a few seconds and then interrupt the swirl so that it has a rounder shape. Now it takes about 2min to be ready, but the best way to be sure is to touch it. You should feel that the egg white is firm but it has a liquid inside (the yolk). When you take it out, cut off the tail that naturally forms when it drops into the water just so it’s nice and neat 🙂
6. Now all we have left to do is assemble (and eat!). Put the french toast, then the avocado on top and finish with the poached egg. Finish it off with a bit of powdered chili or chili flakes and salt on the egg.
I hope you liked this! It’s too yummy and special for Valentine’s Day. Hace an amazing day surrounded but people you love and love you back ❤