I loooove mulled wine. The first time I discovered it I was in Prague with thermal sensation of -11°C and believe me when I say I was endlessly thankful for its heat. However, besides warming up my hands and making a small heat source in my stomach, I loved how it tasted! It’s sweet and with lots of complex flavours: cinnamon, star anise, cloves, orange, lemon… too yummy! It might look a bit anticlimatic if you live in a place where it’s summer right now, but my new fantasy is to have this in a cold camping night at the beach or in a terrace 😀
Portions: 6 glasses
– 1.5 liters of wine, usually 2 bottles. I used Merlot. I don’t recommend to use a fine one!
– 200g sugar
– Zest from 2 oranges
– Zest from 2 yellow lemons
– 6 cloves
– 2 big cinnamon sticks
– 2 tsp grated ginger
– 100ml orange juice
– Juice of 1 yellow lemon
– 2 pinches grated nutmeg
– 2 star anise (it seems little, but it’s powerful)
– Extra cinnamon, orange, lemon and star anise
1. Put everything in a pot on medium heat until it boils. Let it boil for 5min and then turn it off.
2. Pass it through a fine sieve. If you don’t have one, put 4 layers of paper towel on a sieve so that it will help you catch the nutmeg, zests and pieces of cinnamon.
3. Put chunks of orange and lemon in the glass and pour the hot wine on top. Then finish with a cinnamon stick and star anise.
Done!! It’s too easy and yummy 🙂 Cheers!