What if you were to make a smooth cheese even smoother? That’s exactly what happens when you put a camembert in the oven! And what if it was surrounded with puff pastry and had some caramelized pears on top? Sold!
Portions: one small camembert
– 1 camembert or brie cheese
– 125g puff pastry
– 1 pear
– 20g butter
– 20g sugar
– 1 egg yolk
– 5ml water
1. Roll the puff pastry to 2mm thick
2. Cut a circle with the base of the cheese or cut around its perimeter. This is going to be our top.
3. Cut a large circle enought to wrap around the cheese. You can use a bowl, a plate, or whatever you have handy just to get a nice shape
4. Wrap the cheese with the large circle without sticking it, an leave to rest the dough 30min in the fridge
5. While that’s in the fridge, we’ll do the pears. First, put the sugar in a small pot, and let it turn to caramel.
5. Add the piece of butter and twirl it into the sugar to form the caramel
6. Cut the pear, peeled and cored into quarters and then fine slices
7. Add them to the caramel, and allow to cook.
8. The caramel will become more liquid because of the pear juices being extracted, and then back into thickness again as it evaporates. When this happen, let it cool to room temperature.
9. Put the pears on the camembert and wrap the dough around it again
10. Mix the egg was together and paint on the lid
11. Stick on the top and paint again with egg wash all around, and make a design on the top with the tip of a small knife.
12. Put in the oven at 170C for 25min, and ready! Serve pretty with toast of by itself and ENJOY!