Can you hear the Christmas bells? I love Christmas and so I’m excited to present to you my christmas special yipeee!! So I’m going to take you through the recipe I did for a christmas dinner with a couple of friends and that I’m reproducing for my family on Christmas. This salad I think is fantastic because it’s sweet (from the balsamic reduction, raisins and apples) and savoury (olive oil, salt, parmesan cheese) and I swear all the components complement each other in your mouth beautifully. Let’s gingle!
– 2 apples (I got Granny Smith apples), cored and sliced finely and kept in lemony water until used so they don’t oxidise.
– 40g rocket
– 30g raisins (use your favourite!)
– 20g pine nuts or almonds (peeled or flaked) + 5g olive oil to toast them
– 20g parmesan cheese, in slices
– 1/2 lemon juice
– 2 tbsp honey
– 250ml balsamic vinegar
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. First we’re going to make the balsamic reduction. Put all your balsamic into one pot and boil profusely.
2. Once it’s gooey, let cool and then mix in the lemon and honey. It should have a caramel-y consistency
3. Toast the pine nuts in the olive oil until golden and let cool
4. Drizzle olive oil and salt on the rocket, and season with salt and pepper. Toss around so they’re covered properly. Then put the apples, raisins, pine nuts and parmesan. Drizzle the balsamic reduction on top in fine lines, it’s just a touch of flavour so don’t go crazy!
That’s it!! Easy and very complex in the mouth. Remember to serve pretty and enjoy!! Stay posted for more xmas recipes!